Statement of Intent:
At Christ Church, we aim for a high quality history curriculum which should
inspire in pupils a curiosity and fascination about the Britain’s past and that
of the wider world.
Our teaching equips pupils with knowledge about the history of Britain and
how it has influenced and been influenced by the wider world, recognising the
impact of history on our world today.
Children will know and understand about significant aspects of the history of the wider world like ancient civilisations and empires; changes in living memory and beyond living memory; learn about the lives of significant people of the past; understand the methods of historical enquiry and be able to ask and answer questions. We want children to enjoy and love learning about history by gaining this knowledge and skills, not just through experiences in the classroom, but also with the use of fieldwork and educational visits.
We aim to:
· To promote curiosity about the past in Britain and the wider world.
· To consider how the past influences the present, what past societies were like and the politics involved.
· To consider how beliefs and cultures influenced people’s actions.
· To develop their knowledge of significant events and people.
· To introduce pupils to historical enquiry through studying evidence, asking questions and problem-solving.
· To enrich and support other areas of the curriculum.